IN THE TRADITION OF STARTING WITH GRATITUDE: THANK YOU
for your patience, as new owners we are working hard to improve the tending of the Eco Park facilities, transform the online booking experience to be more user-friendly, AND maintain peak season operations during Covid, all at the same time!
Get an eGift Card at our New Year’s 15% discount for yourself or a friend here: E-Gift Cards AND THEN get 20% return on the cost of your overnight stay in 2022 at Manitoulin Eco Park & DarkSky !
“The provincial government’s “staycation tax credit” is now in effect for Ontarians who plan getaways within the province this year…the credit aims to boost local business by offering people who book overnight stays in Ontario for anytime in 2022 a return of 20 per cent on accommodation expenses of up to $1,000 per person or $2,000 per family.”
See the CBC tourism article about the tax credit!
Our COVETED STARGAZING CABIN is now OPEN for rentals in the cold season!
(Now – April 30, 2022)
Come enjoy the superb DarkSky visibility that winter conditions offer!
The SG Cabin is not currently available Dec 23 – Jan 3. Before booking, please review the details on the Stargazing Cabin page.
OUR OFFICE IS CLOSED AND WE ARE NOT ABLE TO ANSWER THE PHONE, BUT WE WILL CHECK EMAIL A FEW TIMES PER WEEK RESERVATIONS@GORDONSPARK.COM.
We are not yet accepting reservations for 2022. If you’d like to be alerted when 2022 reservations and programs are announced, join our spam-free e-mail list! Go to www.manitoulinecopark.com and submit your email address in the pop-up form, which is also at the bottom of that webpage.
Any individual and family rentals must be reserved using our online booking portal via the BOOK NOW button above. We cannot accept bookings by phone or email.
The office is closed for the cold season.
We will be checking emails sent to email@example.com
The phone is not being monitored at this time.
We are committed to the wellbeing of our staff, guests and Manitoulin Island. In planning diligently to ensure a safe 2021/2022 season at our Eco Park, we have developed some initiatives and processes to ensure just that.
Before traveling to the Eco Park, please review below the important details about available amenities and current policies. We reserve the right to require guests to leave the Eco Park if they are not abiding by our policies, in which case no partial/full refunds or credits will be issued.
ASTRONOMY EVENTS & DARKSKY PRESERVE ACCESS
The Dark Sky Preserve DSP includes campsites, the Stargazing Cabin and Milky Way Bunkie. We ask all visitors to respect that some overnight guests may be sleeping during Astronomy Events.
Certain DSP campsites can now accommodate smaller size RVs, Roof Tents, and tents. Please note your RV size / Roof Tent in your online booking request.
Most DSP campsites are under tree cover, which helps protect campers from lightning strikes. The amazing view of the sky is available from the Observation Field where trees have been cleared.
There is no hydroelectric in the DSP, nor are generators allowed.
There are no flush toilets in the DSP. Only off-the-grid outhouses. Please bring red light filtered flashlights for evening trips to the washroom.
The DSP has a large, refillable water cube (more info here).
The map notes two areas on the main campground where you may refill your containers with running water. Our well water is drinkable/potable. (About a 5 min drive, 30 min walk from the DSP).
We have installed one communal fire pit, right inside the entrance to the DSP (near the events parking lot). 5 min walk. Fires are not permitted in any other area of the DSP. Please purchase firewood at the office.
Yes, if you arrive before the sun sets, you may park at your campsite. If you arrive late you may park in the events lot and make the 5 minute trek into the DSP.
No white light allowed including no campfires or vehicle headlights
- While we encourage campers and event participants to walk without artificial light as much as possible, as a safety measure please be sure to bring your own flashlights and/or headlamps with AMBER or RED filters sufficient to colour and significantly dim the light shining through (you can attach thin cloth or cellophane paper with tape).
- No laser pointers of any kind or strength (other than in use by our astronomy staff).
- Cell Phones should not be used as flashlights or for taking flash photos due to the white light, unless you have a red or amber smartphone ap installed to filter all light coming from the device. As a courtesy to others please keep your cell phone sound turned off at night.
- Camp stoves are not permitted to be used outside after sunset, as this is a source of white light.
We have a new user-friendly website for purchasing event tickets!
Find the 2021 season schedule, event descriptions, and book your tickets here: https://www.manitoulinecopark.
(Please note events are complete for the 2021 season, thank you!)
- Regular Astronomy Nights
- Stargazing Night Hikes
- Perseids Meteor Nights
- Perseids Night Hikes
- Small Group Astronomy Nights
These and any other special events will be by advance registration only (no walk-ins or last minute sign-ups).
We will have numbers capped lower than usual due to Covid19, so please plan to purchase tickets ahead of time.
Not at this time.
If you are making a reservation to stay at the Eco Park overnight, please book your reservation first.
Then use your REZ confirmation number to get a discount on astronomy tickets!
The events you see listed on the Astronomy events page include everything we have planned!
In the future we will be delighted to offer more events. This business was purchased in 2021, so our growth will be one step / event at a time!
All event tickets are nonrefundable.
Events are held in all sky and weather conditions except those the Eco Park determines to be hazardous (eg. lightning, high winds).
- Astronomy Guides have many educational and fun activities suitable even when optical viewing conditions are not available.
Event tickets can be transferred to another date this season (pending availability) only if the Eco Park cancels the event. We will notify you by email in the event of a cancellation in advance.
Astronomy Guides do not handle modifications or cancellations of ticketing. If there is a cancellation please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
During all astronomy events, for safety all guests should stay with their guide and the group at all times. If you need to leave the event early for any reason, please be sure to notify one of the astronomy guides before you go.
Yes, the lights are viewable from Manitoulin Island and our Dark Sky Preserve. However, we cannot guarantee any one camper will see the lights.
Very strong auroras may be present directly overhead, while weaker auroras will be visible to the North.
Please view The Auroras page for a few photos taken in our DSP!
We will not have “Aurora” specific events at the moment, because in addition to the usual weather condition factors, the Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis are in an extended period of lower activity, and seeing them is quite hit-or-miss [Learn more about increasing your odds of viewing the Northern Lights].
The short answer is: we do not know.
The auroras are space weather. Science predicts an 11 year cycle of high / low activity. Specific aurora events are forecasted by monitoring the sun for solar flares and CMEs.
You can check out our Auroras page for links to different Aurora trackers.
Please check out this awesome astronomy calendar to see meteor shower dates for 2022!
The sky is darkest during new moons, rather than full moons.
This astronomy events calendar includes every new/full moon for 2022.
Scroll to the bottom of this FAQ page, and hit the Book Now button.
Option 1: Multiple campsites can be booked through the reservation system by one person. (Only 1 credit card will be charged at check out)
Option 2: Each party may book their own campsites, and request to be placed together.
- Please note the last names of the reservations you’d like to be placed with in the “Extras” section when completing your online reservation. Whenever possible, we will place groups on adjacent campsites.
- If applicable, please note the size of your RV/Trailer in the “Extras” section
Please note that large groups of friends/family which anticipate being louder-than-normal, may prefer the privacy of a group campsite. Quiet Time is 10 pm.
Please e-mail email@example.com
Please include in your email
# of Participants aged 17 and up:
# of Participants aged 16 and under:
# and size of tents and/or RVs:
Preferred Arrival/Departure Dates:
Preferred Accommodation type:
What type of event you are hosting (if applicable):
- As an EcoPark with a Dark Sky Preserve, our focus is on off grid tent camping.
- Please note guests may not use generators in the Eco Park.
- Forest Campsites allow for 1 vehicle. Additional vehicles can be parked in our main lot.
- Each camp site allows for either two (2) tents (one sleeping and one cooking) OR one (1) Camper, Pop Up, RV (up to 20 ft max) + one cooking tent. Extra tents are subject to a fee of $10 + tax each per night. Should you wish to have more tents please select the add-on for extra BYO tents.
- Only cars and trucks may be parked in the parking lots (no RVs, trailers, etc.)
- We have three Forest Campsites with HydroElectric near the entrance available for an additional fee. These can accommodate campers/RVs up to 34 ft, with 30 amp shared electricity (no air conditioning). Please note there are no pull throughs, pump outs or hookups. Water can be obtained from our shared outdoor tap. Green Acres is up Hwy 6 and has a dumping station (plus a wonderful restaurant).
- We have just created a few additional off-grid campsites for RVs. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Family prices listed on our website are for 2 humans 17 yrs and older, and children 16 and under. For additional adults, the cost is $10 per adult/ night, which will be added to the cost of your accommodations.
- The maximum number of humans ages 16 and up per standard campsite is 6.
- The maximum number of humans of all ages per standard campsite is 8.
- For our roofed accommodations, we will be following public health recommendations on the cleaning of these spaces between rental parties, thus the importance of abiding by check-out and check-in timing. Guests must bring their own pillows, bed linens, blankets, towels, cookware, eating ware, etc.
- For safety, during 2021 we will continue to require payment in full at the time of booking as part of our contactless check-in process. We will process your payment after you complete a booking request in our online system. Cancellation policy details are below: there are no refunds.
- Within a day before your scheduled arrival date, you will receive a map of our campground, the check/in & emergencies phone number, and any other information you might need for your stay.
- Please include your arrival time when you set up your booking (2-5pm).
- Dark Sky Preserve campers: DSP gates are closed to vehicles at sunset or 9pm, whichever is earlier, so those coming by ferry (rather than the bridge) will need to catch the 1pm: https://www.ontarioferries.com/ms-chi-cheemaun/schedule-overview/.
- When you arrive you can travel right to your campsite. We just ask that you give us a call to let us know you are here, and any changes or add-ons needed.
- If you get the answering system please leave us a message with your site number, number of adults and children (under 16) on site for emergency purposes, and any further questions or requests eg. firewood or supplies from the Park Store.
SOCIAL & ECOLOGICAL CONSIDERATIONS:
As an organization we are highly committed to environmentally and socially conscious choices to support the wellbeing of humans and all our relations.
- We ask guests to clean, then reuse and/or recycle whenever possible.
- We strongly encourage everyone at the Park to bring reuseable items, avoiding single-use plastics (eg. bags, containers, plates, utensils for food, beverages, water, etc.), styrofoam, and items that must be sent into landfills. We intend to have some reuseable supplies available in the Eco Park Store for you to purchase; contact us in advance of your visit to confirm availability and have these added to your account, ready for you upon arrival.
- The proper bins for sorting between landfill items, recyclables, and compost are located in several convenient places throughout the Eco Park. Please help us keep the Eco Park beautiful for all to enjoy by leaving no litter on the land or in the water!
- For cleaning, we ask that all guests only use the eco-conscious cleaning supplies provided by the Eco Park for community use; these have been confirmed safe for children, staff, and other guests who are chemically sensitive, without harmful impact on the environment.
- We highly recommend scent free/eco-conscious personal care products be used while camping. We have found find they attract less insects, are more considerate of the environment, and tend to be kind to chemically sensitive neighbours. We intend to stock simple soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, bug-spray, and backpack-suitable hand-sanitizer at the Eco Park Store; contact us in advance of your visit to confirm availability and request to have these added to your account, ready for you upon arrival.
- Service Dogs who are trained to do specific tasks assisting their human with a disability are welcome in all facilities and at all events. Per Ontario law, please bring the prescription letter from your medical professional. No retractable leashes, please.
- Friendly well-mannered companion dogs and Emotional Support Animal dogs are also welcome as guests on a 6 ft maximum NON-RETRACTABLE, plain leash in the Forest Campground, Dark Sky Preserve Campground, Astronomy events, and colour-coded hiking trails.
All dogs must be with their humans, on a leash and cleaned up after: please BYO compostable bags and dispose of in the designated receptacles in the Eco Park.
Written proof of up-to-date rabies inoculation signed and dated by a veterinarian must be produced for any dog if requested by staff. No female dogs in heat allowed.
Overnight guests please include the Dog Add-On when booking your camping reservation or contact email@example.com to update us. The fee is $5 per dog/per night for overnight guests.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org when booking a cabin or bunkies as there is an additional dog damage deposit.
No guest companion dogs are allowed in tipis, yurts, the office, store, or community buildings, the mini putt course, or pool.
- Due to the risk of transmission of arboreal diseases, and invasive/harmful species including insects, in order to ensure the continued health of the beautiful forest here we cannot allow outside firewood. Local firewood is available for purchase at the Store for $8/bundle, which you will need to transfer to your site along with enough water to put out the fire after each use. Rate of usage varies, many guests opt for 1 bundle per night to start.
- Fires must be contained in designated areas and always supervised by an adult.
- Fires must be put out completely with water whenever you leave your campsite and at the end of the night.
- We are no longer accepting pre-orders for firewood, please request when you check-in.
- To avoid white light, no campfires are allowed in the Dark Sky Preserve.
- Charcoal may be brought by guests for cooking purposes. Here are some tips for eco-friendly options: Conventional charcoal bricks are made of wood byproduct, sawdust, and lighter fluid (with nasty additives in there, too!). These bricks often release volatile compounds (VOCs) into the atmosphere as they burn, too. An atmosphere-healthy option is the use of lump coal rather than traditional briquettes. A delicious flavor is obtained through the use of lump coal that is quite similar to charcoal. There are no additives or chemicals and barbecue lovers often opt for this alternative for grilling. This eco-friendly, green charcoal saves our forests, while releasing less gas and soot emissions. “Better” lump charcoal is sustainably sourced, organic, and all-natural, such as organic lump bamboo charcoal or coconut shell charcoal.
- If there is a Fire Ban in place, at the end of your stay you can 1) donate your firewood fee to support the Eco Park and our programs 2) request a refund.
- Gordon’s Park is a family-oriented EcoPark.
- As such, any consumption of alcohol, tobacco, and cannabis must be confined to the outdoors at your individual rental site. All such items must be disposed of properly, either rinsed and placed in the appropriate recycle bins, or put out in designated receptacles.
- Consumption of alcohol, tobacco, or cannabis is not allowed inside tipis, cabins, or any other structures.
- Consumption of alcohol, tobacco, or cannabis is not allowed in any common outdoor or indoor spaces.
- All Astronomy and other Special Events are alcohol, tobacco, and cannibis-free.
- The Wi-Fi Internet & Charging Station is located by the main office, the deck with vines, and the summer kitchen. It contains multiple charging ports for personal devices (BYO plugs/cords) as well as an internet network connection. You can check with the staff in the office for the Wi-Fi password. Please note we must limit the number of people in this area due to Covid.
- Bring your own cords and plugs please!
According to the current health and safety guidelines for Ontario, when indoors all guests must wear effective MASKS: 2 layers of material covering from nose to chin and fitted to the face. If you do not have a mask that is sufficiently effective, you will be required to purchase such a mask from the camp store. Face Shields designed for safety are also acceptable.
In the common green spaces, if you are 6 feet away from others, you do not need to wear a mask.
Guests are required to maintain SOCIAL DISTANCE of 6 ft or more from people who are not part of your household/campsite group in all common spaces, indoors and out. To ensure this is possible indoors, we will be limiting the number of people inside each building at one time.
- Guests are required to bring their own COOKWARE: pots, pans and utensils to use in the summer kitchen area. Communal items will not be available. We have a fully functioning 4 burner stovetop as well as a BBQ available for use.
- All of our washroom facilities (both privies and flush toilets) are self-contained single person units with fully closed in walls. Flush toilets and comfort stations with hot and cold running water are located near the main office in the Forest Campground. We have privies (no flush) stocked with toilet paper and sanitizer scattered throughout our camping areas (Forest Campground and Dark Sky Campground) for your convenience.
- We have two eco shower stalls that are both individual self-contained units. The solar heated, pull-cord activated, eco showers are located in the main Forest Campground.
- Thorough cleaning is being done regularly in all of our common areas (eg. office, Nature Centre, washrooms, showers, and summer kitchen).
- Hand sanitizer will be available in these areas, as will eco-conscious cleaning supplies should you wish to wipe things down before you use the space.
What to Bring
- tent (if applicable), sleeping bag and pad, or other bedding, and pillow
- flashlight and/or headlamp, camp lantern – with red filter (thin cloth or cellophane) for Dark Sky Preserve
- towels, biodegradable soap, shampoo, toothbrush and paste
- eco-friendly bug spray and sunscreen
- reuseable/washable water bottles
- small camping propane cookstove (fire bans that exclude wood and charcoal are common on the island in the hot season, and this is the only form of cooking permitted then)
- cookware (pots, pans, kettle, utensils)
- meal kits (reuseable/washable/non-breakable plates, bowls, utensils, mugs/cups)
- food and beverages
- an effective mask for Covid safety, soap, hand sanitizer and wipes for your own personal use
- camp chair
- clothes for a range of weather conditions from hot to cool, dry to rainy. cotton cloth draws significant heat away from the body when wet, so some non-cotton clothing is recommended for even mildly cool or wet conditions
- closed toe footwear for hiking, sandals or water shoes, non-cotton socks
- charging cords and plugs for any devices you wish to use
- anything else you need for your comfort
We will begin to stock certain supplies as well as local arts and crafts in the Eco Park Store; inventory will be growing as we come out of Covid restrictions and settle into the peak portion of the 2021 season.
Consumable products can be purchased at our local stores in Tehkummah, Manitowaning or Mindemoya, within 20 min from Eco Park, as well as the many Farmers Markets on the Island.
POLICY IN COVID 19 CONDITIONS FOR MODIFICATIONS/CANCELLATIONS:
- For general cancellations in 2021, you can choose to:
- Transfer your booking to other available dates in 2021 (the Eco Park is amazing to witness in different seasons!)
- Please specify which NIGHTS you would like to stay: through the last night to stay: Saturday October 16 2021.
- Transfer your reservation to friends or family (note that additional charges may apply if the new party has additional add-ons, ex. more people, dogs, firewood, additional nights, long weekend rates). In your transfer request sent by email to email@example.com please specify their names, age categories (16 and up OR under 16), best phone numbers and email contact info.
- All guest-initiated modifications to an existing reservation will be processed with payment of the $10 administrative fee per request/per reservation.
- ALL cancellations, change of dates, transfer of reservation to another party, or modifications require a minimum 72 hours (3 full days) prior to 12:01am of the morning of your arrival date, via written notice by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thereafter, any balance due will be processed with the payment method on file, and any complete payments at that point are not-refundable and non-creditable in their entirety.
- No refunds or credits are issued for early departures for any reason.
- No partial refunds or credits of non-refundable deposits are issued for changes in reservations that result in a lower overall cost.
- No refunds or credits are issued due to guests being asked to leave after failing to adhere to the policies of the EcoPark.
- All Event tickets in 2021 are non-refundable.
- Transfer your booking to other available dates in 2021 (the Eco Park is amazing to witness in different seasons!)
- Group Bookings are non-refundable and non-transferable.